<

Club History

 

Snippets of SARA history supplied by Jim Caspers


Adelaide Journalists (No. 172):

 

The Club was formed in April 1915, and approved in May. About 40 journalists from metropolitan newspapers were enrolled and Mr. H.O. Balfe was elected as Captain, with the Hon. Crawford Vaughan (Premier of South Australia) as Patron.

 

Musketry practice was quickly attended, with rifles loaned by the Stock Exchange Rifle Club for the purpose, to qualify before the 30th June deadline for Government assistance with the supply of rifles and ammunition, but only a few members appear to have qualified as “efficient”.

 

The initial enthusiasm, however, did not last the delays in receiving equipment from the Government the club lapsed into recess after a short period. Even the support from prominent gentlemen in the newspaper industry could not ensure the club’s continuance.

 

 The Club was disbanded in February 1919, following the end of the First World War.

 

 

 

 

Advertiser (No. 27):

 

The Club was formed in 1900 from the staff of the ‘Advertiser’ newspaper.

 

In 1901, they had a team’s match against their rival newspaper club, Register Rifle Club. Over 200 & 500 yards, the Register Club won 350 points to 341, with champion shooter R.H. Hall (who later transferred to Metropolitan Rifle Club) scoring 61 against the next best score of the day, 53.

 

In 1905 the Club won the Interstate Press Rifle Competition. The Club disbanded in 1918.